You’ve probably heard plenty about the health benefits of eggs, and as a runner there are so many reasons to incorporate them into your diet. Whole eggs are a fantastic source of complete protein, and in a form that is easily absorbed by your body. They’re rich in the nutrient choline (mostly thanks to the yolks), which is beneficial in combating inflammation. As you know, protein is a key component in post-workout recovery, and by decreasing inflammation quickly, you’ll be in a better position to run strong in your next race or training session.
This twist on traditional egg salad uses protein-rich Greek yogurt instead of mayo, and also includes turmeric and chili powder, two inflammation-fighting spices to help speed recovery even more. Whip up a big batch and use it in wraps, sandwiches, on crackers, or simply eat it straight out of a bowl!
Curried Egg Salad
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 0 mins (if eggs are previously hard boiled)
- 4 hard boiled eggs
- 2 small green onions, chopped into small pieces
- 2 heaping tablespoons of plain fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- black pepper and sea salt to taste
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1 tbsp apricot jam or mango chutney
- Remove shells from eggs and chop into pieces.
- Add hard boiled eggs to a bowl with all remaining ingredients.
- Mix well until ingredients are evenly incorporated.
- Serve chilled in pitas, on rice cakes, or as sandwiches.