You might have noticed that we uploaded a large album to Flickr this week. The 2,700 photos of the Fall 5 KM Classic are, as usual, a fantastic example our commitment to great event photography.
That album contains a special milestone – we have now uploaded our 100,000th photo to Flickr! With this, we are launching a fun new project. (Sorry to our ultra community – we’re not launching an ultramarathon, yet…)
100,000 Photos Calendar Contest
For the first time, we will be printing monthly calendars in 2018. These will be given for free to all 2017 members (one per household), and available for $15 to the general community as well.
This calendar will include photos selected from our Flickr collection, and we’re asking for your help. If you have favourite photos, submit them for consideration to the calendar.
- The contest is open from October 20 to November 20, 2017.
- Anyone can submit any number of photos through the webform (which is embedded below).
- We are looking for at least one photo per month, although some months could have more than one photo.
- Photos must come from the RunWaterloo Flickr library. Photos will continue to be uploaded during the contest and any photos in the library are eligible.
- Photos will be judged on seasonal appropriateness, and diversity of type and subject.
- Photos should be appropriate for a wide audience.
- Winners will be announced in the last week of November, and calendars will be available during gift season, by Santa Pur-suit on December 9.
- Contest winners will win an extra free calendar, and their name printed in the calendar.
- We encourage you to share your selected photos directly from Flickr to Instagram or Twitter using #RW100K.
- The first submission for any given photo takes priority.
Calendars will be available for pre-order during the contest period; details to follow. Members who want to purchase additional calendars save 20% on prices, so they are $12. If a member purchases a calendar and wins the contest, they will be refunded for the purchase amount.
Just how many photos does Run Waterloo have?
Don’t get us wrong – we have far more than 100,000 photos. We estimate the true number to be between 300,000-400,000. We just thought that this was a fun milestone to celebrate our photography and reward our members!
Many of these photos were once available online through Picasa, and many more were never available other than by hard copy. (If you can loan us a negative scanner, that would be appreciated!)
Since we joined Flickr, we have been faithfully rewinding the clock to upload historical photos. The current progress is that every photo taken from the 2014 Harvest Half Marathon to the present is publicly available. As we’ve transitioned to Flickr since 2015, we have averaged one photo uploaded every 10 minutes, for two years – and counting!
Over the next month, we are going to look deeper into our photo library, including stories behind some of our favourite photos, and interviews with our photographers: Julie Schmidt, Lahring Schmidt, Ryan McGovern, George Aitkin, Jeff Wemp, and others. The work of 13 individuals comprises our current Flickr library.